How to enjoy dabbing without a Dab Rig
These five tried-and-tested techniques will save the day when you have concentrates. Just because you don’t have a dab rig doesn’t mean you can’t get high.
Dabbing has become one of the most popular ways that experienced cannabis consumers get high. This method of consumption involves placing a tiny amount of cannabis concentrate on a hot surface, allowing it to vaporize, so that you can inhale extremely potent marijuana.
Medical or recreational cannabis consumers alike can enjoy the benefits of dabbing especially when you want to make the most out of a small amount without having to consume too much. After all, cannabis concentrates are notoriously potent: you can consume anywhere from 50 to 98% THC.
The most common way to dab is to use a reliable dab rig. Dab rigs are a specific type of water pipe that’s designed specifically to inhale concentrates or dabs. It works by filtering the vapor from marijuana through water, which is in essence, similar to how a bong works. Dab rigs also have a nail, which is a name for the glass bucket, which is heated with a torch for around 30 seconds. After cooling, you can then inhale the vapor without burning your throat.
Dab rigs are popular. However, it isn’t the only way you can consume dabs. Perhaps you found yourself without one because you didn’t know you needed it, find it too expensive, or you may have broken the glass. Don’t worry: below are other methods you can consume dabs without the use of a dab rig.
- Use a joint: This is the easiest and simplest way to enjoy dabbing without a dab rig. What you will need is wax, marijuana flowers, and rolling papers. Make a joint the way you typically would, and evenly distribute the flowers on the paper.
Place some wax on the center of the flower, ensuring that it doesn’t touch the part of the joint that you’re going to light up. If it does touch the wax, this can result in a dangerous open flame.
When using this method, keep in mind that wax is extremely sticky. You may end up wasting too much when it gets stuck in paper and your fingers.
- A bowl: For the uninitiated, smoking dabs in a bowl is extremely simple. You can choose to use a bong or bubbler. The first step is to load a tiny bit of wax, then cover half the bowl with bud in order to protect the wax. Again, you don’t want the wax to touch the flame.
You should have a bowl that has a layer of concentrate covered by a layer of bud. You can add more weed if you want, depending on how much grass you have available. With this technique, there’s no need to use top-shelf bud since you’ll be smoking most of the dab anyway. The primary purpose of the bud here is to protect the dab.
- Rechargeable vape pen: This is a convenient way to dab. Use a rechargeable vape pen with a cartridge already filled with wax. Screw it onto the pen, take a hit, and relax.
However, if you already have wax that you want to use in a refillable cartridge, this is possible too. Just make sure to use a vape pen that’s equipped with a removable atomizer, which is the heating component where you add the wax. Typically, older vape pen models have the atomizer since more modern models do without it.
Place a small dab of wax onto the metal dabber, then remove the atomizer. Dab the wax on the coil, and link the atomizer to the pen. Next, connect the mouthpiece to the chamber. Press the power on the vape, and slowly inhale to get the perfect balance of vapor and heat.
- Edibles: Making edibles out of concentrates instead of regular cannabutter will ensure a seriously potent and much longer-lasting high. There are countless cannabis concentrate edible recipes you can use; just keep in mind that you also have to decarboxylate your wax or other cannabis extracts the proper way.
Cannabis concentrate edibles are a fun and affordable way to medicate. The best part is that compared to flower, you only need a significantly smaller amount to enjoy the same benefits. Always follow the general rule of thumb when dosing concentrate edibles for the first time: start with the smallest dose possible, and wait at least two hours before you decide to follow up.
- Hot knife: As a last resort, if you don’t have any tools or access to the previous techniques, you can try the hot knife method. You will only need a butter knife and a heat source.
The knife should be heated by placing it on a heating element. This can be a hot plate, electric stove, or a gas heater. When the knife is already hot, dab a little wax on it then inhale. Unfortunately, this can be a little challenging because unlike bongs or pipes, there are no enclosed areas. This means that you run the risk of losing some vapor even when you inhale.
You can combat this by using a straw, funnel, or even a plastic bottle. These are simple solutions to maximizing a tiny problem when using hot knives for dabbing.
A functional dab setup is always ideal for the best results when dabbing. However, when you don’t have the complete setup, it’s time to get creative. These five tried-and-tested techniques will save the day when you have concentrates. Just because you don’t have a dab rig doesn’t mean you can’t get high.